Delightfully Small Dog Breeds That Are Easy to Care For
Some dog breeds rank fairly high on the maintenance scale. Luckily, there are some amazing small dog breeds that enjoy apartment dwelling or a slower lifestyle. Depending on your lifestyle and living arrangement, a low-shedding lap dog might be just the right match for you.
How Do You Know?
Choosing the right dog breed takes time. A successful adoption is predicated on extensive research and preparation. Many pet adoptions happen spontaneously and without much, if any, planning. These can definitely work out for everyone involved, but there are definitely cases in which a dog is not the right fit.
Knowing exactly what an animal needs in order to thrive is an essential component of responsible pet ownership, and we’re always here to help prospective owners choose the right pet for them.
Setting the Scene
We’ve previously covered the best pets for retirees. With their easy-to-care-for distinctions, it’s no wonder that lap dogs top the list for older folks, or those with smaller homes (including apartments or even an RV). The following dogs are not only recognized for their overall ease of care, but they are specifically chosen for their low-shedding characteristics:
The Best Small Dog Breeds
- Dachshunds are famously devoted dogs. While they do benefit from a daily walk of 30 minutes, dachshunds fit in well with small households with varying schedules.
- In addition to the short coat, Boston Terriers are equally alert and chill, making wonderful companions to older owners and families with small children alike. Similarly, the French bulldog, in their muscular, little frame, does not need any grooming save for wiping down some of their deepest wrinkles. These pups are also famous for their laid-back travel style.
- Miniature schnauzers are easy to train, eager to please, and happy-go-lucky small dogs that are adaptable to change. While these pups do need some weekly brushing and trimming, we’ve included them because they make such great friends.
- Short-haired chihuahuas are so quiet and relaxed you might forget that they’re even there! Highly dedicated to a single owner, this small dog breed is well-suited to confined living quarters, as long as they’re with their person!
- Few people can resist the pint-sized adorableness of Yorkshire terriers, also known affectionately as “Yorkies.” They do not shed; instead, they boast a shiny, shaggy coat that looks best when brushed everyday. Happy to sit and gaze at their owners, they can step up to the plate as a fierce watchdog, too.
- If you like Yorkies, you’ll love the glossy-looking silky terrier, one of the most unique of the toy group. Slightly bigger than Yorkies, Silkies are known to be curious and engaged with their people and surroundings.
- Cavalier King Charles spaniels are excellent homebodies. They enjoy low-impact exercise every day, and then are content to hang out and endear everyone they meet with their sweet gaze and gentle demeanor.
- Maltese terriers love to snuggle and, as a single-coated breed, they do not shed. That said, cleaning their muzzle every week is important to their overall aesthetic.
So Many More
The above list is really only a smattering of the best small dog breeds out there. There are many crossbred dogs available for adoption, and we’re sure you’ll find just the right combination for you and your lifestyle.
If you have questions about how to provide for small dog breeds, call us at (732) 387-7977. Mobile Vet M.D. is always here for you.